RESOURCE RECOVERY, WASTE AND RECYCLING
We aim to use the most effective waste management technologies and methods available while also striving to protect environmental and public health.
We operate a three bin waste and recycling system:
- Weekly general waste collection (blue lid)
- Alternate fortnightly recycling collection (yellow lid)
- Alternate fortnightly green organic waste bins (green lid) are only available within township areas.
Green organic waste and recycling materials are sorted at the Heathfield Resource Recovery Centre and processed off site. A kitchen caddy for kitchen scrap collection is also available for residents eligible for green organic waste bins. A hard waste collection occurs annually.
We offer an A-Z guide to Waste Reduction to assist residents with the correct manner to dispose of items.
Click here for more information about our waste, recycling and resource recovery initiatives, and A-Z Guide.
Tips to reduce waste:
- Choose products with minimal packaging
- Use 'No Junk Mail' signs on letterboxes
- Buy second-hand instead of new, and re-use and recycle products where possible
- Remain aware of what is going into landfill and reduce where possible
- Use the three bin system correctly without contaminating the different waste streams.
Click here to read our Waste and Resource Strategy.
We collect our used road and paving materials which is crushed at the Heathfield Resource Recovery Centre. The recovered and processed materials are then reused as road base material. Trees that have fallen on council land are mulched and used for landscaping and garden bed mulching.
OUR OFFICE INITIATIVES
Reducing waste and increasing reuse and recycling relies on changing our waste habits and behaviour. To help facilitate this change, we adopted a three bin system within our own office.
- Kitchen caddy for food and organic waste
- Recycling stations
- Desktop 'mini’ bin for general waste items.
Collection points are strategically located around throughout our and are clearly marked so staff know which bin to use. The mini bins act as a prompt for people to reconsider where they are disposing their items and ideally choose a more suitable bin option.