Adelaide Hills Council maintains 16 historic cemeteries within the Council area, with some featured below.
Established 1910, Birdwood cemetery spans 1.29 hectares and is landscaped with maple, silver birch, cypress conifers and golden elm trees. A parking area is available outside the main gates and a water tap is on the left hand side at the top of the lawn section.
The cemetery consists of 4 sections:
- East and west of the main gates are 6 lawned burial areas, containing 380 individually numbered grave sites
- A black granite double-sided columbarium wall is set in the garden to the right of the gates with 25 niches on each side
- Rose bushes lining the driveway for ash burials with plaques
- A historical section against the back fence on the southern side with 216 plots, including 16 plots for infant burials
The Charleston Cemetery, established 1864, is located on steep sloping land across 0.74 hectares. Vehicular access is gained using the Uniting Church entry, at 40 Newman Road. There are steps to the Cemetery leading up from Newman Road, however no disabled access is available at this site.
Established 1867, the Cudlee Creek cemetery is located on steep sloping land spanning 0.56 hectares. Council owns the section of the cemetery adjacent to the Uniting Church at the top of the hill. There are five blocks of 16 single plots and two blocks of eight single plots.
The Gumeracha Cemetery spans 0.81 hectares and is landscaped with silver birch, polar, gum and pine trees, and was established 1870.
Key features include:
- A columbarian wall with 50 positions
- Central footpath through the cemetery with rosebush interments and memorials
- A brick shelter shed with seating
This cemetery was established in 1858. It is located on Johns Road at Houghton and is situated on 1.51 hectares of land.
This cemetery has a large traditional burial area, lawned burial area and a columbarium wall with 50 niches. Rosebush interments of ashes are also available.
The cemetery was established in 1903 when Mr William Woolcock donated the property to Council. It includes ground burials and a single sided columbarium set at the south-eastern end of the roadside fence.
This cemetery, located at Uraidla, is now closed for future burials, except for those already holding a lease.
Established in 1865, the cemetery is on land given to Council by William Kessell. Records show that the first lease was given in 1870 but there were burials as early as 1861. The small structure built near the bend in the road is a replica of the Methodist Church that once stood there.
Established in 1870 and covering 7.39 hectares, Mt Torrens Cemetery is hidden amongst pine trees and has a large, steep, gravelled car park. Full memorials are laid out across the hillside as well as a Columbarium wall at the top of the hill by the driveway and a small Catholic section in the Southern area beyond the car park.
Norton Summit cemetery covers 1.3 hectares and includes full memorials and a 2-sided columbarium wall. Maple, Gum and Cypress Pine trees decorate the boundaries. Established in 1882, South Australia's longest serving Premier, Sir Thomas Playford is buried here.
Established 1895, The Scott Creek Cemetery is located on gentle sloping land with a north westerly aspect. The cemetery spans 3.7 hectares of Crown Land with Council being the legal custodians.
Click here for more historical information about this cemetery.
Stirling Cemetery is located at Strathalbyn Road, Bridgewater. It is situated on 7.54 hectares of land and was established in 1896. The cemetery is comprised of four sections known as the General Section, the Interment Section (including The David Whibley Memorial Garden and the District of Stirling Probus Club Garden), the Paupers Section, and the Catholic Section.
The Summertown cemetery is landscaped with peace roses, agapanthus, camellias and photinias. Established in 1884, the cemetary covers 1.1 hectares and includes grave sites, crypts and an undercover columbarium wall structure.
For further information about Adelaide Hills Council cemetaries, please contact Council during business hours on 8408 0400.
For further cemetery information, please visit the Cemeteries Association of South Australia website.