DO I NEED APPROVAL?
Development approval is required for a new garage, shed, carport or verandah except in the following circumstances:
- It is not within the Hills Face Zone or a State or Local Heritage Area/Item
- It is detached from and associated with another building
- It has a floor area less than 15 square metres, or less than 10 square metres if in an Historic Conservation Area
- It has any span (a distance between posts) less than 3m
- It has a height less than 2.5m above the natural surface of the ground
- It is behind the main face of the dwelling
- It is not within 900mm of a secondary street boundary
- It is not within 6m of the intersection of two roads
- It is not in an area identified as being prone to flooding in the Adelaide Hills Council Development Plan, or where minimum finished floor levels as identified in the Adelaide Hills Development Plan are achieved.
Note: The above exemptions also apply to pergolas and/or structures that do not have a solid roof (of a non-permeable material).
Refer to our fact sheet Do I need approval? for more information.
CHECKLISTS FOR STRUCTURES LESS THAN 40 SQUARE METRES
Structures which meet certain criteria do not require Development Plan Consent, but do require Building Rules Consent. Click below for relevant checklists.
CHECKLISTS FOR STRUCTURES 40-60 SQUARE METRES
Structures which meet certain criteria are fast-tracked for Development Plan Consent and require Building Rules Consent. Click below for relevant checklists.
CHECKLISTS FOR OTHER STRUCTURES (over 60sqm)
Other structures require both Development Plan Consent and Building Rules Consent. Click below for relevant checklists.
Click here to download a Development Application form (PDF)
The PDF can be printed and completed by hand, or completed within the document's fillable fields.