Major Project Updates
At any given time, Council will be undertaking a range of major infrastructure projects to deliver better outcomes and quality public assets for our community.
Keep up with some of Council's major projects with these quarterly updates.
Gumeracha Main Street Project
The Gumeracha Main Street Upgrade project will deliver a range of improvements, including underground power lines, a new storm water system, better pedestrian connectivity and a safer streetscape environment for Gumeracha’s ‘Village Heart’. This community streetscape project is delivered in close partnership with SA Power Networks, the Gumeracha Main Street Group and the Gumeracha Community Association.
The streetscape upgrade works are complete. The contractor “Plot Works” accelerated the works uphill and have achieved an outstanding finish. All benches and bike hoops are installed and trees have been planted.
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) will reseal Albert Street by the end of December this year.
The FABRIK Development Project will involve upgrading and enhancing the former Onkaparinga Woollen Mills site at Lobethal. The new building will provide an exciting and focused entry point to the site that will enable staff to promote the history of the site, the current uses and businesses within the location and then direct visitors to various buildings from a central location.
Council has approved and awarded the tender. A minor variation is being sought through the Development Approval process to reduce the scope of works in Building 21.
This project will continue into the next financial year.
Heathfield Oval Change Rooms
Constructing new change rooms for Heathfield Oval to provide compliant male/female and umpire change room facilities in accordance with South Australian Cricket Association standards.
Construction of change room facilities was completed as per original construction schedule, with some minor defects being rectified.
COVID-19 and material / contractor shortages put the project under pressure but the contractor delivered on the main components on time. The exception remaining to be completed is a concertina wall upstairs which has a 16 week lead time and will be installed around October 2022.
The cricket net construction has progressed well. Completion is delayed due to change in scope. Completion is scheduled for mid July.
Heathfield Sports Courts Redevelopment
The Heathfield Sports Courts Redevelopment is being constructed in partnership with the Department of Education and the federal Government.
It aims to provide additional sporting facilities to the community, sports clubs as well as an improved amenity for the Heathfield School.
The major components of the Sports Courts and associated works are complete and they are now open to the public.
Lobethal Bushland Park Masterplan Implementation
Lobethal Bushland Park (LBP) Masterplan goals are:
- Biodiversity protection, conservation, restoration and enhancement
- To promote community health, wellbeing and education
- Maintain the ‘local’ feel of Lobethal Bushland Park whilst improving the function and amenity for all.
- Replacement of infrastructure - Additional boardwalk has commenced and will be finished in the coming week. Additional park entry signage has been completed and installed.
- Weed Management - All weed management for this year has been completed.
- Lookout Tower - Planning and approvals under the Native Vegetation Act for upgrade to existing Lookout Tower has been obtained. Approval has been granted by the Minister for Environment to undertake the activity in a Heritage Agreement. The tower is currently under construction and should be completed and available for public use in the coming weeks.
- Play space - The Bushland Park Playspace is completed and was opened to the public on 24 February 2022.