Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Authorisation to Alter a Public Road • Adelaide Hills Council Skip to main content

Authorisation to Alter a Public Road

If you need to have work carried out within a road reserve permission is required under Local Government Act Section 221. A road reserve extends from property boundary to property boundary across a road including road verges, vegetated area, and footpaths.

AHC team on road image

Council's Section 221 Application form is required to be completed if you wish to alter a public road or access to it. Prior to commencement of any works, the application form must be completed and provided to Council for assessment.

Common examples requiring the use of a S221 Application form include:

  • Altering access between the property and the road (eg installing a driveway and crossover)
  • Erecting or installing a structure in the road reserve (eg installing a letterbox)
  • Changing or interfering with the construction, arrangement or materials of the road (eg change driveway material and/or surface treatment)
  • Changing, interfering with or removing a structure associated with the road (eg a road sign)
  • Planting, interfering with or removing a tree or vegetation from the road verge.


Please allow four weeks for requests to be considered. Payment of the application fee is required at time of lodgement and prior to Council commencing the assessment process. Please see the fees and charges schedule for associated costs.

Subscribe to stay up-to-date with
everything Adelaide Hills Council

Select a newsletter *
Full Name