Skip to main content

Justice of the Peace

The Adelaide Hills Council Justice of the Peace (JP) service is operated by voluntarily by appointed Justices of the Peace.

Justice of the Peace services are available at some Council Service Centres and Libraries. No appointment is required.

Coventry Library, Stirling

  • Tuesday 10:00am – 12:00pm
  • Thursday 2:00pm – 4:00pm
  • Saturday 1:00pm – 3:00pm

Gumeracha Library

  • Tuesday 2:00pm – 4:00pm

South Australia's Attorney-General's Department keeps an online list of Justices of the Peace that is easily searched by suburb or name if you are looking for someone specific.


A Justice of the Peace acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes. For example, a JP may:

  • certify a true copy of an original document
  • certify a person's identity
  • witness an affidavit for use in court
  • witness a statutory declaration
  • witness the signing of a document.

A JP cannot provide you with any legal advice.

Depending on what you need, there may be different documents you need to bring, so we suggest you contact the agency or organisation requiring you to get the form witnessed.

Most documents (except certifying copies of documents) require the JP to verify your identity. Please ensure you bring photo identification (drivers’ licence, passport, student card, etc) with you.

Many documents (e.g. police checks) require a 100-point ID check to be made by the JP. Please ensure you read your forms and bring the required documentation with you.

Do not sign any of your documents — you may complete the details required but if the document needs to be witnessed, declared or sworn, the JP must complete what is required and must personally see you sign it.

It is recommended that you organise your photocopying prior to attending. Photocopying services are available in our libraries.

Some JPs may speak a second language (other than English), and can assist with general enquiries about documents.

If you cannot read or understand written English, the JP (unless the JP is a certified interpreter) is not able to formally assist with interpreting, certifying or signing legal documents.

You can locate a JP in your area by using the Justice of the Peace search on the Attorney-General's website. This database allows you to search for a JP by name, suburb they work and/or reside, their contact number and languages other than English they may speak.

Many JPs will make home visits on request. For more information, please contact the Registrar at Royal Association of Justices of SA on 8297 4044 during their office hours (Monday to Thursday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm).

Other local Councils also provide Justice of the Peace services.

In addition to JPs, there are other people who can legally witness a Statutory Declaration — government employees, accountants, religious ministers, medical professionals and bank officers who meet the criteria.

For a full list of authorised witnesses, visit the Attorney-General's Department website.

Subscribe to
stay up-to-date

Full Name